[MLB-WIRELESS] infrastructure thoughts

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Wed Nov 9 20:06:15 EST 2005

Simon Hall wrote:
> Sorry I should have made myself a bit clearer. I was meaning that using
> strategic points throughout the Met rail netowork could give us a useful
> core structure to build on.  Like I have said earlier I have not been
> following things too closlely in the past 3 years as I have been in the
> UK so if plans for a decent core network are already set in concrete
> then point me in the right direction.

Been down this path. There's considerations such as interference,
access, and the hoary old chestnut of cost.

> On another note, would tunneling through peoples broadband be out of the
> question to connect remote links?  Simple VPN I suppose, but isn't there
> some sort of encapsulation that you can use.  For the life of me I can't
> remember what it is.  I remember some people talking about it when they
> were thinking of putting in a POP in London (we were based in Edinburgh).

Something I'm considering, seeing as I don't have LOS to Melbourne.

> I think I am blethering now, but I have a few other suggestions.  Would
> utilizing BGP be any good for a Mesh scenario? and Has anyone
> investigated Solar/battery for running their AP.  My current location is
> going to make it difficult for me to get out anywhere so I was thinking
> of investing in some more equipment and asking someone nicely who lives
> up on the big hill near Beaconsfield to let me put a node at their place.

Not touching that one, even with Haigh's whopping huge antenna pole.

Vak: Beer mate?

- sanbar

--
http://antifsck.dyndns.org