[MLB-WIRELESS] Bridge 802.11x (TKIP or AES)

admin-list at deathnet.id.au admin-list at deathnet.id.au
Fri May 27 23:44:05 EST 2005

Tony Langdon, VK3JED wrote:
> I guess it depends on the application.  Certainly, for a home network
> I'd agree for 99% of cases.  I run WEP, and I'm one of only 3 WLANs that
> run WEP (out of about 15) in my area, so based on that, I figure WEP
> provides all the protection I need.

Hi Tony and Rick,

I have had a bit of a look around in my area... There is two access
points, in my block that have default SSID's, no mac filtering turned on
or WEP enabled or the admin password changed on the router or AP!!!

Someone said to me months ago "Free internet access is dead in Oz!"... I
think not ;)

> WEP may not be particularly strong protection, but for the average home
> user, it's a good start, and sufficient to stop the majority of problems.

I agree, on the other end... AES, is maybe an over-kill for home user's
and the impact on throughput in cheaper AP's is a real down side, plus
the support for older devices.

TKIP (previously known as WEP2) make's the ideal package between the
two, in my view. This is due to the support for older 11b/g devices and
no real impact on throughput. TKIP provides more resistant to
cryptanalytic attacks and slows the ciphertext attack.... etc.

--
Cheers, Mick
E-mail: admin-list at deathnet.id.au

"Man who say it cannot be done, shouldn't interrupt the man
  who is doing it."

¤°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ DeathNet - www.deathnet.id.au ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤