[MLB-WIRELESS] Netgear WG602 V3 & Simutaneous Client/AP Mode FYI

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Wed May 25 11:07:14 EST 2005

>There's a wireless client bridge mode in the unit
>where it'll act like a client & associate to a
>specified ap mac , and still run as an ap
>on the same channel but with a different ssid.
>
>(note : it is restricted to being on the one channel)

sounds like WDS, do you need to put the MAc of the Netgear in the other end?
Need to check the RFC, I assumed you did but perhaps you can have one end of
the link in WDS node and the other as a normal AP

>Very strange,
>i got it to associate to my wrt54g
>& sent traffic from the notebook whilst connected to the
>ethernet port on the WG602.

Some of these vendor specific bridging modes are restricted to only one
client behind the device. What happens if you have more than just the laptop
connected?

>One scenario I thought of, is where the wg602 is used for an uplink
>to another node via a grid (the wg602 has an RPSMA antenna standard)
>and you could also use it for local coverage around your house or
>even for another node to link to you in the same path as the uplink.

Exactly what WDS is about. the only cavet is that data from a machine
connected as a client being sent up the link will have to go into the AP and
back out - effectively cutting the bandwidth in half.