[MLB-WIRELESS] Mini PCs (slightly OT)

Allan Randall mullaly at gamebox.net
Thu May 19 10:30:16 EST 2005

Hi there,

I assume that you are referring to the form factor known as mini-ITX. These
motherboards are 170mm x 170mm and often come with just about everything you
need onboard, some even have WiFi. I am using a 1.2Ghz VIA MII which I
intend to install into my car and I'm surprised how cool it runs. Cases for
these motherboards vary as do the power supply in them. For your customers
application a m/b with a 12VDC input would help in reducing space.

VIA list Australian Suppliers on their website:
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=60
You can get specs on their boards at http://www.viaembedded.com/

I have also dealt with a company from New Zealand as I found them to be
cheaper for some parts even after shipping.
http://www.itx.co.nz

If you want to go smaller, scheduled to be released in July 2005 is the
nano-ITX measuring 120mm x 120mm's. However you will probably find you will
have limited selection of parts initially (cases etc.)

As for cases Mini-ITX have a number of examples, however I found that our
choice here in Australia is limited. Your best bet is to look at the
supplier's link above.

A case I was trying to chase down at one point:
http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware.asp#hardware0022

Or there is the E.T. PC lol and many more interesting projects at
mini-itx.com if you want to be creative and have some time on your hands
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/etpc/page3.asp

Another magical tool is a search engine. But the links above should give you
a start.

Hope this helps,
Allan.