[MLB-WIRELESS] internet tunnelling between nodes

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 19 12:10:06 EST 2005

> On 15/03/2005, at 11:20 AM, 2ds wrote:
>
> > Ahh, pragmatism vs ideology...
> >
> > I thought melbourne wireless was about creating a city wide mesh, not
> > about being a pure wireless environment.
> >
> Then you would be wrong.

This begs the questions: What is Melbourne Wireless about, what is it not
about, and who is allowed to say what it is or isn't about?  I think
questions like these should be answered by consensus of the members, and
only when they really need answering.  Otherwise it's best to leave these
things fairly vague so we don't pigeon-hole ourselves.

For instance, on the "About" page on the website
(http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/about/) it says:

"Melbourne Wireless Inc is a non-profit group aiming to establish a fast,
free, metropolitan area wireless network based on existing off-the-shelf
802.11 based equipment."

All well and good, but do we need to specify 802.11 equipment?  Sure, 99% of
the time we use 802.11 equipment but by specifying it in our About statement
we imply that that's all we are about.

Dan