[MLB-WIRELESS] Apple "OS X" Compatible Wireless Cards

Jamie Moir jmoir at jmcs.net.au
Fri Mar 18 11:57:47 EST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Peter Lieverdink wrote:

> Afaik iBooks don't have pcmcia slots. Any orinoco card should work with
> Powerbooks though, as that is what airport cards are. (NOT airport
> extreme cards, they're evil broadcom)

Apple has had an extension for lucent cards forever, there was a special
extension for non-apple-airport-yet-lucent cards pre os-9, it was called
pc card something or other.

3rd party evil broadcom cards often work in any mac, under os x, either
cardbus or PCI. They're a bit harder to get now, as a lot of manufacturers
have moved over to the cheaper ralink 2500 chipset, which incidentally has
os x drivers as well.

Really good B cards like senaos also work under os x, there are a few
drvers available including the iokit payware one.

Running techtopia.com.au, and being a mac user, means I have a lot of
experience with this particular problem.

Jamie