[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless amp

Nick Grundy ngrundy at isoproplex.net
Fri Mar 4 08:18:50 EST 2005

Well I'm not in melbourne but we have a semi-deacent wireless network going down here in
hobart (starnet/taswireless) and we find that we have more power than we need for the
distances we cover.  Case in point.  We had a link going that had lots of dup packets.  It
was later found that the link was ~18km while the 11b spec tells you that it stops working
~16km.  We still had 20db of margin to play with.  If it's of any help we gave up using
wireless card style installs over a year ago.  We've pretty much gone entirely to using
WRT54G's see http://starnet.shacknet.nu/wiki/index.php?page=LinkSysModification for how we
modify them.  We do use minitar AP's for wireless access points that are either
intergrated into the base of waveguides that one of our members has spent weeks working
with local metal machinists to design and make a light weight omni with excellent mounting
brackets.

Anyway just my thoughts on this, we've basicly never had a need for an RF amp almost the
opposite at times when we use RG58 just to cut the power levels back.