[MLB-WIRELESS] Linux Router problems.

Glenn McKechnie graybeard at optusnet.com.au
Thu Mar 3 21:53:22 EST 2005

Mark Aitken wrote:
[...]
> eth0 and eth 1 (192.168.0.1 & 10.10.145.210) all work.  I can ping
> other hosts on their particular segments of me LAN.
>
> However,  eth2 & eth3 (10.1.1.5 & 192.168.1.1)although IFCONFIG shows
> that all IO & IRQ & IP & MAC details are true, I can NOT ping hosts on
> their segments of my LAN.

Are these two cards ISA, with dual 10base2 10baseT connectors attached?
If so it may be a matter of configuring the cards to talk via the
correct interface. Either jumpers or a dos based config program was the
usual way of reconfiguring them.
Some early ne2000 PCI cards also required software to set the correct
interface.

> The entry in linusconf shows for eth1
>

> IO 0x300,0x320,0x340
> IRQ 10,11,5
>

> The IO and IRQ in linuxconf's area for eth2 & 3 is blank.  If I edit
> linuxconf to place IO and IRQ in correct ethX and reboot, it reverts
> back to above?????

linuxconf sound like it's an old redhat version? /etc/conf.modules (or
/etc/modules.conf after they fixed it) was the place where the IO and
IRQ values actually went, see if they are being written to the file and
aren't being stored in memory (thus lost on reboot). linuxconf had some
issues in the early days.

--
Cheers
 Glenn