[MLB-WIRELESS] Internet Access

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 12:27:03 EST 2005

Darren wrote:
>Just because a community wireless network is essentially exempt from
>requiring a carriers license under the 'non-commercial' banner...
>doesn't mean there arent other responsibilities under the telco act in
>relation to those providing an internet carriage service. Regardless of
>who pays for what, should MW as an organisation provide any form of
>internet access, we would be considered an ISP (aka CSP in the ACA
>documentation) in the eyes of the AG's dept.

These would be the ability to intercept communications, and to be able to
point the finger at anyone who abuses the network?  I believe it wouldn't be
impossible for us to put a system in place that allows us to verify a
prospective user's identity and contact details, authenticate their logon to
the network and account for every users access to the network.  Also, we
could provide for interception capabilities at the point of the Melbourne
Wireless network's access to the Wired Internet.  If the AG's department
requires that we also be able to intercept communications on the Melbourne
Wireless network that do not involve the Internet, then we could provide
interception capabilities at the major backbone nodes (the ones owned by
MW).  I believe that would probably keep the AG's department happy.  If not,
then it's at least a start.

I don't think that keeping the authorities satisfied is by any means going
to be a walk in the park, but if we think about it in a positive way,
explore the posibilites, and start to formulate a plan, we may well be able
to come up with something that works.

>MW does not have the resources for the administrative overhead required
>to become either a Carrier or CSP.

How much administration is required?  If we keep logs, verify and
authenticate users, and only allow limited access to the Internet, I believe
we can keep the administrative overhead down.

How about people come up with some ideas about how to make this work, rather
than thinking about how it's not going to work?

Cheers,

Dan