[MLB-WIRELESS] OSPF BGP

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:48:21 EST 2005

So, Brenton, cutting it right down, your BGP file looks like this:

!
hostname bgpd
password XXXXX
enable password XXXXX
!
router bgp 7675
bgp router-id 10.10.129.145
redistribute ospf
redistribute connected
!
! DAN's COMMENTS: you probably don't need redistribute connected as you've
already declared your network
! In Quagga the routing protocol automatically redistributes any routes
declared with the network statement
! Also, to be precise, the melbourne wireless network is entirely inside the
10.10.0.0/16 supernet
!
network 10.0.0.0/8
neighbor 10.10.128.97 remote-as 7676
!
access-list all permit any
! You probably don't need this access-list because you haven't specified any
route-maps
log stdout

That's as simple as a BGP file gets really - and if we weren't using OSPF
you could get rid of the redistribute ospf statement too.  You only need to
add neighbor lines each time you directly connect to a new BGP neighbor.
BGP gets complicated when you have multiple routes/routers/subnets within
the one AS.  If every node has their own AS it's quite easy.

I'm considering writing a set of scripts that will automagically create
Quagga/BGP config files from NVRAM variables or a very basic config file,
and that will exchange AS information with neighbors via DHCP.  So basically
you won't have to do anything (if you don't want to) except enter your IP
and AS addresses/numbers to start with.

I'm thinking of running BGP at node GHO alongside OSPF.  We should let GHO
settle and make sure it's stable for a few weeks before we try anything, but
I think it would be worth testing.

How about someone create a BGP-Trial wiki page where we write down our AS
numbers for our nodes?  It should just be for testing, but it means we can
test BGP in our own local clusters.  It doesn't matter if ASNs within a
cluster are contiguous or not - that's the beauty of BGP - you can choose
any number you want, so long as it isn't someone else's.  We need to choose
our numbers from the IANA Private Use ASN space - being 64512 to 65534,
inclusive.

Cheers,

Dan