[MLB-WIRELESS] Is Melbourne Wireless dead?

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 12:39:28 EST 2005

> On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 5:03 pm, Rowan Crowe wrote:
>
> > One big problem I have is with the outdoor installation. I'm a big guy
> > (197cm/6'6"/115kg) so I don't really feel comfortable stomping around on
> > top of a sloping tiled roof. I also don't have any experience with the
> > mechanics of installing a mast, weatherproofing the roof etc.
>
> Agreed!  I'm not as big as I was, but even so I'm much more a software guy
> than a sparkie or hardware hacker and even basic DIY goes horribly
> horribly
> wrong in my hands. :-)

Hence the need for the "node in a box". :)

As far as installation is concerned - BBQs are a great way to enlist the
help of your fellow node-owners.  Quite a few of us have good experience
putting up masts now - and a few war stories to boot.  Note that you're far
more likely to get people helping you if you're putting up a routing node,
as opposed to a client node.  If you live on top of a hill or a tall
apartment block, people might even donate equipment to you.

Dan