[MLB-WIRELESS] Is Melbourne Wireless dead?

Brenton D ivile01 at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 22 18:25:07 EST 2005

I think i have transferd over 9gb from node fuu this
month
--- owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
<melbwireless at wireless.org.au>;
> <syd-wireless at lists.sydneywireless.com>
> Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 1:45 PM
> Subject: RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] Is Melbourne Wireless
dead?

> > Hi Gaz,
> >
> > These are very good questions.  We the proponents
of community wireless
> > networking must continually ask ourselves "why are
we doing this?" and
> > also
> > ask "What attraction does wireless networking have
for the average user?"

> I'm doing this for the same reason I started years
ago. I want a cheap way
> to send lots of data fairly quickly between two
points. This has blossomed
> and today I see many people with similar goals - but
some with totally
> different goals.
>
> > As you point out, a couple of years ago, ADSL
download limits were
> > restrictive and somewhat expensive and that
spurred much of the initial
> > interest in Wireless Networking as a way to beat
the ISPs at their own
> > game.
> > Those that saw a Community Wireless Network (CWN)
purely as an "Internet
> > Alternative" have understandably lost much of
their interest.  But some of
> > us see more important uses for such a network.
>
> Oh yeah, If I had $1 for every question or email
someone has asked me about
> getting internet access through the MW network, then
I'd be able to
> personally fund a Telstra sides rollout :)
>
> > The main attraction of a CWN is that it is Free.
Certainly the hardware
> > costs aren't free, but they are relatively cheap
and are getting
> > inevitably
> > cheaper.  And these are a one-time cost, whereas
ISP fees go in forever.

> Free and fun - but also a challenge.
>
> > The whole point of the CWN is to create a
Metropolitan-Area-Network (MAN)
> > which has no data-carriage fees, ever.  Meaning
that, in theory, it should
> > be easy for any point in the city to be able to
exchange data with any
> > other
> > point in the metropolitan area, for free.  How
that data gets from
> > point-to-point and how mobile those points can be
is something for the CWN
> > group to decide and organise for themselves.
>
> Correct. The technical feats and planning needed to
overcome a lot of the
> problems are very challenging - and lots of them are
not easy.

> > It may be difficult to see at this time why such
community-owned
> > infrastructure is necessary, especially in the
face of commercially-owned
> > infrastructure that already exists and already is
more capable.

> I think it's hard to see why it's needed because it
isn't fully workable
> yet. We have nodes around, but we haven't reached
close to critial mass. As
> more and more people get set up and the varity of
available services and
> functions of the network becomes aparent, then it
becomes a lot more
> obvious. On the same point, what is the point of
connecting to the internet?
> There's a reason that it boomed - and a lot of the
reasons are similar to
> why MW's network will eventually boom.
>
> > Commercial networks charge for access, and charge
like wounded bulls for
> > mobile access.  The cost of installing and
operating a mobile network in a
> > city is far lower than laying copper wires
throughout the same city, so
> > why
> > are mobile phone bills higher than an equivalent
fixed-line bill?  Because
> > the company can charge what it likes - there are
few competitors, and
> > people
> > pay for mobile access.
>
> Agreed, but why should be pay for access? Remember,
WiFi is still in it's
> infant stage. It's a new technology, and people
haven't realised the full
> potential. Yeah it's great to not be able to have to
hook in a CAT5 cable to
> your laptop at home or the office, but when you
think outside this limited
> scope as to what could be achieved with WiFi in the
future, then you realise
> how primative WiFi currently is.
>
> > With a community-owned network in place, which -
by government regulation
> > -can't charge for access, suddenly there exists an
alternative to
=== Message Truncated ===

=====
Brenton (iViLe)