[MLB-WIRELESS] Elevation maps on BrisMesh site

Richard Ap-Thomas rich at silvergate.darktech.org
Wed Jan 12 20:58:21 EST 2005

Fenn Bailey wrote:

> That's certainly a neat way to do it, the only problem being that you
> would
>
>have to work out how many images to create and to which nodes.
>
>The reason why I mentioned the hashing is that it gets around the nodes
>moving issues (for topographical info anyway) if you key off location.
>
>So say you hash on a very quick operation - Node1Lat, Node1Lon, Node2Lat,
>Node2Lon, then create your image keyed off that hash. When you go to load
>the images, you can do a very fast construction/hash lookup and serve a
>statically cached image.
>
>If the cache hit is negative, then you generate the image as per normal and
>save it in the cache keyed by the hash. If a node moves or changes, the hash
>would as well, automatically taking care of the caching issues.
>
>In any case, this is probably better discussion for some sort of developer
>list than the public list in general :)
>
>Now I'm off to find a japanese golf course designer to test my theories...
>
>	Fenn.

Cool I only had to read that about 3 times to actually understand what
you were talking about :) But it does sound like an efficient way to
manage psuedo-static images.

I'm thinking that you could also be flagging links that have a clear
line of site if you're generating static thumbnails, so you could have a
list of the nodes within a given distance that you can see,  possibly in
combination with the standard overhead maps. eg select LOS option for
your node and all nodes on the map that you have LOS to show up blue and
all the others red.
As far as the thumbs, the setup they have on brismesh looks about right,
a static library of thumbnails (or crazy hash ones) with higher detail
images generated as needed. I wouldn't imagine more than 10-15 thumbs
would be that useful for at-a-glance stuff.

Does melb. wireless have access to similar quality of geographic data
for Melbourne?

-- Richard.

nonexistent node FRT. one day I shall fork out the money.