[MLB-WIRELESS] Elevation maps on BrisMesh site

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Wed Jan 12 16:07:05 EST 2005

Hey All,

> The los between two points doesn't change (natural distasters
> and Japanese golf course makers left out of the equation),
> but sometimes the points move[eg GUR], and of course, new
> points are added - so if static images were created, they
> would have to be done on the node update/creation process,

That's certainly a neat way to do it, the only problem being that you would
have to work out how many images to create and to which nodes.

The reason why I mentioned the hashing is that it gets around the nodes
moving issues (for topographical info anyway) if you key off location.

So say you hash on a very quick operation - Node1Lat, Node1Lon, Node2Lat,
Node2Lon, then create your image keyed off that hash. When you go to load
the images, you can do a very fast construction/hash lookup and serve a
statically cached image.

If the cache hit is negative, then you generate the image as per normal and
save it in the cache keyed by the hash. If a node moves or changes, the hash
would as well, automatically taking care of the caching issues.

In any case, this is probably better discussion for some sort of developer
list than the public list in general :)

Now I'm off to find a japanese golf course designer to test my theories...

	Fenn.