[MLB-WIRELESS] Building my mast.

Brenton D ivile01 at yahoo.com.au
Mon Feb 14 12:40:55 EST 2005

Make sure you use thick steel, i can swing on my mast
and it isnt even guyed down yet
--- owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
<Nick.Sibbing at arts.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Phil
> have you looked at buying a Hills mast? I looked at
custom building a
> mast and in the end the Hills Telomast was so much
cheaper I dropped the
> custom idea.
>
> I had the services of a neighbour who is a steel
fabricator and he was
> going to do the job for nix and get me steel at cost
but the Hills
> option was still a fraction of the cost.
>
> There was a chance recently on this list of a bulk
buy but sadly that
> seems to have faded. But to get an idea of the cost
check out Rob
> Clarke's site he also has instructions. Freenet has
the whole kit for a

http://www.freenet-antennas.com/~freenet-/oscommerce-2.2ms2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=117

>  I think there are local melb options that might be
cheaper again eg
> Radio parts if you know someone who has a trade
account or Alvin
> Electronics who seem to be mainly aimed at trade
customers
> http://www.alvin.com.au
>
> Installing one of these is not trivial and you want
to get it right as
> there have been a few collapsed masts recorded on
this list but as the
> mast starts from the top of the roof this would
probably already be
> higher than the one you are designing and a 9 m mast
is  lot easier and
> safer than a 12 or 15 m
>
> Hope this helps your research
>
> Regards
> Nick Sibbing
>

> Phil NodeHPL wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm in the process of gathering the components for
a new mast.

> > My design is interesting, but arent they all.
First I will be building
> > a telescopic mast where the mast is in lengths,
which could then
> > retract into each other, 4 lengths in total, 3 as
the mast - 1 short
> > one and the top which would rotate. Two sets of
guy wires will be
> > attached to the mast, 1 set just below the
antenna's at the top, the
> > other at the joint between the 2 long upper poles.
> >
> > The thoery is that I would be able to drop the
antenna down (much like
> > say a car radio antenna) such that the top section
where the antenna's
> > would be mounted, would be at a workable height at
the top of my roof.

> > From this I will need 3 long lengths of differing
sized poles, so they
> > fit into each other, of about 6-7 meters each and
a shorter rotating
> > length for the top, say about 1.5 meters in
length. The bottom piece
> > would go from the ground upto just above the peak
of my roof, the
> > second with a 1 meter over lap would go from the
roof up, then the
> > final third piece once again with a 1 meter over
lap would go from
> > there upto the rotator.
> >
> > These will be guy wired, so I need to attach those
guy wires to the
> > mast and to the house.
> >
> > What I need are suggestions for materials for the
poles, guy wires,
> > and all the relavent means to attach them. I'm
looking for somewhere
> > to buy an antenna rotator and anything else anyone
can think of which
> > I might need.
> >
> > Certainly links to websites is great but business
names and address's
> > etc would be ok as well.
> >
> > What I'm interested in, after reading about GMR's
mast breaking, is
> > what type of materials work best and have
appropiate strength etc...

> > I have not put up a mast before which required
anything more than
> > bolting it to the side of the house, so the more
information the better.

> > Phil, NodeHPL.

=== Message Truncated ===

=====