[MLB-WIRELESS] Building the MW Network

Tom Fifield gummay at gummay.net
Wed Dec 28 00:43:21 EST 2005

Just with regards to Melbuni as an ISP...

They charge:
* $22/GB for Internet access
* $15/GB for access to AARnet

With the latest implementation of AARnet, it is believed that the
university received substantially lower rates now that they have not yet
passed onto their 'clients'. It is my view that asking the university
for Internet access is fruitless.

It has a lot of 802.11 infrastructure, but this is all coordinated by
over twenty different departments, colleges and the student union, and
the vast majority of it is focused on client-access. If you wanted to
hook in to the wireless net there, not only would you be talking to a
great deal of people but it would be difficult to interface with.

The only way I believe you could get something out of Melbuni is by
asking for space on/in a building. This could provide a nice high point
in the city (i.e. the Law or Redmond Barry buildings), but then again we
already have HVC.

Regards,

Tom Fifield