[MLB-WIRELESS] Problems at work

Brian Jinks bjinks at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 14 06:07:02 EST 2005

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:59 pm, kevin wrote:
> Don't know if this is the right place to ask but at work I have recently
> been instructed to not wardrive at all and to cease all connections with
> anyone who does wardrive
> Now my problem is this I do not, have not and have never encoraged people
> to connect to wireless networks they don't have permission to connect to.
> Apparently the reason this has gone around is that a customer has come in
> and said that this is an illegal act (fairly certain that reception of
> radio signals is not illegal if you do not benefit from the data) and that
> it is morally wrong
> Atm I am seeking legal advice but I am just wondering if anyone else has
> had this issue or if there are any suggestions for it?
>
> Kevin c.a.

Just give them a reply that is as non-specific as possible, ie. you don't act
illegally in any computer activity.
It sounds like they don't really have much of a clue, but getting into an
argument with them is likely to be non productive and may give them reason to
hassle you or doubt your commitment to them.
Even getting legal advice is not going to be all that beneficial to you if
they think it means that you are trying to hide something from them.

Just do what you can to ignore the warning and get on with your own business.

If you are in a union, ask your delegate to ask them for their instruction in
writing. That will shut them up very quickly and you will hear no more about
it. They will go realise that they are out of order.

Brian.