[MLB-WIRELESS] strange wireless problem with XP Pro

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Fri Apr 29 18:58:20 EST 2005

I'm trying to get wireless working on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with XP
Pro/SP2 installed. It sees the AP and associates with it correctly, and I
can do things like ping (outbound only, it seems). If I try to load a web
site, it sometimes works but most of the time it stalls.

I did a tcpdump on the wireless interface on the 'nix gateway, and I can
see that whilst the XP laptop thinks a connection is closed the other end
is still sending packets. It's like it never sees certain large packets.

A transfer from a local site (the same nix gateway) works better, but it
still stalls. It's like something is suddenly making the XP laptop deaf,
and every inbound packet after that point is ignored *for that TCP
connection only*.  A ping still works so the interface is alive.

This is a strange problem and it's difficult to word... I hope I'm making
sense, and I hope that someone has experienced this before! Prior to this
laptop I had myself an old clunker with Win98, an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card
and Avaya's proprietary drivers which worked flawlessly... this one has
wireless built in and the drivers preinstalled.

Any ideas?

Cheers.