[MLB-WIRELESS] WEP vs MAC Filter vs WEP + MAC Filter

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Fri Apr 22 01:19:02 EST 2005

At 00:55 22/04/05, Mark Farrell wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Was just wondering about running a resonably secure network, what
>setup is the best, can i just run with mac filter, wont that stop
>anyone not in my mac list from connecting to the network or are there
>other ways to get around this. Or is just wep better approach. Or do i
>need to run both configurations at the same time to have any kind of
>secure network.
>
>Before you say none of these will give me a "truely secure network", i
>dont really care because this is not really what i want. What i want
>my network to be is secure enough do discourage the random
>wardriver/whatever, not protect against the most determined hacker.

Depends what you want.  WEP will stop the casual freeloader, so will MAC
filtering.  However, WEP also encrypts traffic, which will also stop the
casual eavesdropper.

As you say, neither are absolute security, far from it, but both techniques
will stop the casual freeloaders, and WEP will also stop the casual
eavesdropper.  Neither are much of a barrier to the determined hacker, of
course.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com