[MLB-WIRELESS] The possible closure of Melbourne Wireless.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Fri Apr 1 11:56:12 EST 2005

Hi all,

After having a long discussion with the Attorney Generals department
today, it has been established that the operation of Melbourne Wireless
has been deemed illegal and a violation of the Telecommunications Act.

The AG department has informed me that a complaint about how Melbourne
Wireless operates has been lodged, and court documents have been forwarded
to me with possible fines of over $10,000 per node.

The court documents mention that after monitoring by the Australian
Federal Police of various operational nodes, the main use of the network
was for sharing porn and file sharing. After hearing this, a number of
porn producers and representatives from the Recording and Movie industry
have lodged seperate court cases holding Melbourne Wireless responsible
for losses in the order of $5m.

This news has come as a big shock to me, and I will keep everyone updated
on this matter via the following URL:
http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/ag.html

--
Steven Haigh