[MLB-WIRELESS] Backbone addresses

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 23:29:22 EST 2004

With node HVC online, I've just had a thought:  we don't yet have an
address pool for OSPF Area 0 (backbone).  We've got address pools for
all the region groups - but for OSPF to work properly, a high-visibility
node such as HVC (or GHO) should really be using a subnet that is not
from a region-group address pool.  As all address allocations are
subject to approval I don't see a problem with adding an "Area 0 -
Backbone" entry to Locfinder - if someone requests a backbone address
block and isn't a backbone node the request can just be knocked back.

With OSPF, Area 0 must be contigouous - you can't have two separate
clusters of Area 0 unless you use 'virtual' connections.  If we were to
have two backbone nodes - in a hypothetical example - Node HVC and Node
GHO, then they'd either need to be directly connected or connected via
nodes that are all Area 0 or via some sort of virtual connection.

In the short-term I guess high-visibility nodes can do what they are
doing now - using address blocks from their local region-group.  But
this is not fully taking advantage of the power of OSPF and it may cause
some problems - OSPF may get confused if there are lots of areas
connected and none of them is area 0.

Dan