Fw: [MLB-WIRELESS] GSM data modules - $49 from Rockby

Tony Langdon (ATC) tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Oct 19 11:22:34 EST 2004

> Since when has "it's already been done" ever stopped anyone?
> :P In terms of parts I believe I can buy them for less than
> $1045, and since it's a hobby project rather than commercial
> development I don't value my time into that.

Always fun to have a crack at something :-)

> BTW, I am planning on using it so my wife can track where I
> am when I go wandering to take scenic photos, so that she can
> relay this information to the relevant people in the event
> that something goes wrong. It's easier than ringing in every
> time I change plans. Tracking the vehicle if it is stolen is
> a secondary function only.

Sounds like the exact same reason some hams run APRS...  Some find they no
longer have to say "I'll be home in 10" - the kids have been watching the
screen and are waiting at the door. ;-)

APRS is something I will eventually install in the car.  I've already got a
suitable radio, and a GPS I can use.  Just got to get the tracker/modem unit
for < $100...

And my usage chanrges are a bit less ($54/year licence fee) :-)