[MLB-WIRELESS] http password access?

Peter Lieverdink me at cafuego.net
Thu Oct 14 15:16:35 EST 2004

At 14:22 14/10/2004, you wrote:
>Hi People,
>
>firstly, many thanks for your input to my earlier query regarding this
>topic.  I have managed to get the User/Pass banner to be displayed when
>linking into my web page.
>
>However, the next step is where it all falls apart....
>
>It appears to ignore the password (or user).
>
>I have a "Require maitken" in the /etc/httpd/conf/access.conf file for
>myself and created a passwd file /etc/httpd/conf/passwd using "htpasswd -c
>/etc/httpd/conf/passwd maitken"
>but still it ignores my attemps to log in.

You probably want 'Require valid-user' instead.

>Have I placed the passwd file in the correct position?  My html files are
>in /var/www/html.

Doesn't matter, as long as the AuthUserFile directive points at
/etc/httpd/conf/passwd

>The system is RH7.0.

That, although possibly broken, shouldn't prevent apache from working
;-)  Just make sure mod_auth is loaded. (See also mod_auth_pam for easy use
of /etc/passwd|shadow in Apache)

- Peter.