[MLB-WIRELESS] windows question

Jason Hecker jhecker at wireless.org.au
Fri May 28 10:30:41 EST 2004

Well, it begs the question, why is your kernel dying all the time?  The
general rule is Linux won't die unless you have something wrong with
your hardware (assuming you have a non-development kernel ie 2.4, 2.6
and the hardware isn't bleeding edge) or a fscked up kernel.  Don't
expect Windows to hold it together either if you have hardware issues.

Some questions:

- What kernel are you using?  Something prebuilt off a distribution or
did you built it yourself?
- What are the components in the system you are running?  (mixing SDRAM
models and makes can cause trouble.)
- Where is the system running?
- How is it dying?  What are the kernel panics, if any?

As an example, my Athlon computer recently was locking up at random
times but fairly regularly running Linux.  Opening the case up revealed
the chipset fan (cheap ^$&#*^ crap) needed a flick to get it spinning.
A $5 fan replacement from the swap meet fixed the problem.  No more lockups.