[MLB-WIRELESS] Routing help.

Richard Van Orsouw Richard.Van.Orsouw at optus.com.au
Tue May 11 08:18:38 EST 2004

> Should I have seperate subnets for wired and wireless?

Mark, definitely have both wireless and wired on separate subnets. If you
were to bridge both ethernet connections, any traffic on your Local LAN will
be propagated thru the wireless link even if not the packet is  only b/w
PC's on the local LAN increasing wireless traffic.
So separate the two. depending on how many IP's you need, you could break
your allocated /28 block down to /29 or /30 if you like.
eg, if your were allocated 10.10.32.80/28, you could allocate 10.10.32.80/29
to your local LAN giving you 6 hosts.
You could use 10.10.32.86 for the network card of the linux box, and all
your PC's connected on that LAN can use 10.10.32.81 -> 10.10.32.85.
Then you can use 10.10.32.88/29 for the wireless side, giving your network
card that's connected to your wireless gear 10.10.32.94, and any wireless
devices on the LAN 10.10.32.89 -> 10.10.32.93

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

RvO