[MLB-WIRELESS] DIGITAL Tv Tuner & Video Capture Card

Allan mullaly at gamebox.net
Wed May 5 19:44:03 EST 2004

Hi,

I have noticed that some people have contemplated broadcasting HDTV or SD
digital TV over a wireless connection. As HDTV is 19.4Mbits/sec the only
way one could do this successfully is to re-encode the MPEG 2 stream on
the fly.

Cost wise I do not know why you would want to do this as a digital TV card
such as my Vision Plus card will set you back around $150, around the cost
of an AP. If you get a good TV reception the chances are you’ll get
reception. Why spend hundreds on hardware to recompress data to enable you
to transmit it using 802.11, hogging bandwidth that can be used for other
proposes that aren’t already transmitted (on a different frequency) for
free?

That’s my 2c.

Allan.
NodeGXN (Workin on it!)