[MLB-WIRELESS] Speed degradation over multiple hops

Mark Aitken vk3jma at net2000.com.au
Sun Mar 28 16:24:42 EST 2004

At 03:19 PM 3/28/04 +1000, Ben Short wrote:

>Now, each link from hop to hop you can send or recieve at about 400kb/s,
>which is to be expected. However if I download
>direction from hop 6 to hop 1, I am usually lucky to get 10kb/s. There is
>no other traffic on the network at the time, and
>hidden nodes are not an issue. I am assuming interference is not an issue,
>because each link can do 400kb/s.

It only stands to reason that each frame has to be totally received before
it can be re-transmitted at each hop. Therefore there is a finite amount of
time that is required for each system to receive and re-transmit the
frame.  This can drastically affect the through put, especially if for what
ever reason a frame is lost in transit and needs to timeout before it is
re-transmitted.

Just my 2c worth.

Mark