[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless Problems

Benjamin Stewart bstewart at waterwerks.com.au
Thu Mar 25 10:44:37 EST 2004

Greetings,
Although not specifically related to the Melbourne Wireless network I
was wondering if anybody could offer advice on the following setup.
I have a friend who has an ADSL connection and has connected a Net Gear
DG8344 modem/router/wireless switch. He has a laptop with a WG311 PCMCIA
wireless card installed and a WG511 PCI card installed in a PC.

The router is at one end of the house and the Laptop/PC usually located
at the other end of the house (10meters through walls). He cant get a
reasonable connectiona and when he stands in front of the computer the
desktop can not get a wireless connection to the router at all. When he
tries to do a peer-peer network between the PC and the laptop he get a
really good signal from the other end of the house and everything works
a treat.

Does anybody have experience with these products or any hints on how to
get it working well.
Has he selected the wrong products for what he wants to do ?
Are the products crap at what they are suppose to do ?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Ben Stewart