[MLB-WIRELESS] Commercial use of MW network

andrewg at d2.net.au andrewg at d2.net.au
Sun Mar 7 02:05:41 EST 2004

> Ryan and Rick,
> Please see below...

Lets say several critera are met:
 - both nodes terminating the vpn connection are owned by the same business
 - usage pattern is mostly during business hours
 - there is a spike at night time, at a predictable/repeatable times.
(suggesting automated dumped)
 - Usage* pattern in general.

Various things like that suggest it is being used for business/commercial
related activities.

Just because its encrypted, doesn't mean the data is useless. You can
still extropalte a lot of data. Some cases in point, if there was a lot of
encrypted mail between two ceo's of similar nature businesses, it may
suggest that a merger is going to happen.

see above.. usage patterns* here apply majorly. If its likely to be an
individual, they'll be aware in the community as it as well, where as a
corporation won't be in the community.

> Cheers
> Rob

* I'm sure many people here will agree with me here, if they work at a
company with traffic graphs. In my observations, You have people who get
in, quickly get some news site, traffic dies down for a while, raises
again near
break times.

Individuals on the other hand's usage pattern won't be as much
predicable/identifiable. (Oh yeah, I'll grab this iso, make something else
available etc)

** Oh yes, I forgot. VPN software has never had security holes in it, as
they are for security and are always implemented correctly. People always
implement things like ASN.1 parsing correctly as well. No, the US
president wasn't briefed on any security holes regarding that.

- andrewg.