[MLB-WIRELESS] WRT54G Bulk Buy - cheaper again!

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 13:36:49 EST 2004

I totally agree with Rob here.  The WRT54G's radio is nothing special,
but then again, it's not a total piece of crap either. :)  Remember, a
15dBm radio needs a 21dB antenna for a system that is at full legal
power level.  If you put one of these babies up a mast and use a 25dB
antenna with it, you'll be over the legal power level!

I'd be tempted to use a WRT54G in conjunction with a 200mW Senao AP -
the WRT's radio doing a backhaul link, possibly at 54Mbps, and the Senao
connected to an Omni for regional access.  If I wanted another p2p link
I'd add a Minitar to the package.

I think the race is on now to develop a firmware that will make a WRT54G
into a full-blown community wireless network routing node.  Mind you, it
can't be anything more than that though.  Obviously it can't be a web or
file server, but it can be a building block for distributing the network
across the suburbs, and a portal to the network.

Dan

WRT54G