[MLB-WIRELESS] WRT54G Bulk Buy - cheaper again!

Matt Boyd matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Wed Jun 23 18:07:16 EST 2004

> Tony
> I think the best form of PoE is not to bother. Just use PoW (Power over
> Wire a standard I'm jointly developing with Michael Borthwick)
>
> I just purchased 20m of the heaviest 2core flex I could afford at Jaycar
> approx $25 and just cut the wire for the original power supply and
> extended it with the flex and connectors. Even the 4.5 v DLink worked
> fine over it. The minitars and WRT54Gs that run at 12v would be even
> easier. Cheap and easy.
>
> In fact that returns me to one of my original questions. Could 3 12v APs
> run off 2 power supplies to avoid me having to do any more cabling?

I'm not Mr. electric, but.. I think you just need to work out how many
amps each of the APs draws make sure that the power supply can supply 3x
that at 12v. eg if each AP draws 0.5amps then you need a power supply
that does 1.5 amps and 12 volts. I would lean towards a single power
supply with higher amps rather than 2 put together in some sort of
series, I'm not sure how well that would work and wouldn't want to try
it. But.. there's probably someone on the list with a better idea than
me.

Anyone??

Matt