[MLB-WIRELESS] PoE, was WRT54G Bulk Buy

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 11:52:39 EST 2004

As far as Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) goes, it depends on how much money
you want to spend, and how much time and motivation you have to DIY.
PoE is not rocket-science, electrically speaking.  Personally I think
some of the PoE solutions out there are way over-priced.  But if you
shop around you might find something cheap.

PoE comes in two flavours - regulated and unregulated.  Unregulated
simply relies on the DC voltage drop of the Cat5 to get the correct
voltage at the DC power inlet of the Access Point.  If there is too much
voltage drop over a given length of Cat5 then you just increase the DC
voltage output of the power supply.  Doing this is dangerous because if
you for some reason shorten the Cat5 cable run and don't lower the P/S
output you could blow up your AP.

Here is an oft-linked site that is a howto for unregulated PoE:
http://www.nycwireless.net/poe/

Regulated PoE uses a voltage regulator at the AP to drop the incoming
voltage level down to the exact voltage required.  A voltage regulator
simply dissipates the excess voltage as heat.  Or you can use a
switchmode DC-DC converter to make efficient use of the incoming voltage
- much less heat is generated by a switchmode converter.

Jaycar has a few kits, both assembled and with assembly required, that
are either voltage regulators or Switchmode DC converters.
This one is a 24vDC to 12vDC @ 1Amp:
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0265
and this one, 24vDC to 12vDC @ 3Amp:
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0266

They seem pretty appropriate.  I think they're switchmode but I'm not
sure.  Running 24v over the Cat5 will reduce your voltage drop and
therefore reduce your overall current draw.  Unregulated 24vDC power
supplies can be bought pretty cheaply.

Some Googling found this site that sells some very nice looking, and
reasonably priced Switchmode DC-DC converters:
http://www.computronics.com.au/meanwell/sg/dc.shtml
They are based in WA.