[MLB-WIRELESS] WRT54G Bulk Buy - cheaper again!

Nick Sibbing nick.sibbing at arts.monash.edu.au
Wed Jun 23 09:49:19 EST 2004

Gday Dan
Keep up the good work! I was about to buy 3 more minitars but the
WRT54Gs look tempting. I'm after a bit of info to be sure I'm on the
right track.

I already have a basic mast and 2 sets of cat5 and heavy wire (easier
for me than PoE)running out through my roof into a sealed Jaycar
aluminium box. I plan to have 3 APs in the box. (if I build it they will
come?)

I hope by having 3 identical 12v units that I can run them with just 2
power supplies and avoid having to run another 12v power cable and put
more cable glands in the box. If I can use unused pairs in ethernet to
avoid running more Cat5? that would be great.

What is the physical size of the WRT54Gs compared to the minitars?
How do the recieve sensitivites and transmit power compare?

The equation for me is 3 more minitars versus 4 WRT54Gs (I already own
one minitar)

I understand that the WRTs are 802.11g but I think that they will mostly
run at the 802.11b speeds anyway as my area has difficult terrain/trees.
Any connection at lower speed better than no connection at higher.

Any advice from you all much appreciated.

Regards Nick