[MLB-WIRELESS] Bulk Prices for WRT54G and WRT54GS

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 17 12:07:15 EST 2004

Hi All,

I've gotten some prices for a bulk buy of the Linksys WRT54G and
WRT54GS.

WRT54G: $145
WRT54GS: $195

The Aussie dollar is down at the moment so that's why the prices aren't
as good as I hoped to get.  This affects everyone, so these prices are
probably as good as it gets for the time being.

The WRT54GS is the "SpeedBooster" version of the WRT54G.  "SpeedBooster"
is a Linksys proprietary protocol for making more efficient use of the
802.11g bandwidth.  It only works with other Linksys SpeedBooster
products.  Note that this is not the same method as the Netgear
"Super-G" which, controversially, achieves faster speeds by "channel
bonding" ie. Using more than one standard 802.11g channel.  Linksys
claims that "SpeedBooster" is a good neighbour to other wireless gear by
only using one standard 802.11g channel at a time.  Here's the Linksys
blurb:
http://www.linksys.com/splash/speedbooster_splash.asp

Here's the Tom's Hardware review...
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-142-ProdID-WRT54GS.php

Here's the Tom's Hardware review of the original WRT54G
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-39-ProdID-WRT54G.php

According to the Seattle Wireless entry -
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g
- the WRT54GS has twice the amount of RAM and Flash Memory as the WRT54G
The WRT54GS has 32Mb RAM and 16Mb of Flash
The WRT54G has 16Mb RAM and 8Mb of Flash

I've looked on the net and not seen any useful info about Linux on the
WRT54GS. I guess I can't guarantee that existing distros and firmwares
for the WRT54G will work on the WRT54GS.

Finally, here's a link to a fairly decent-looking WRT54G firmware, EWRT:
http://www.portless.net/ewrt/
There's a PDF blurb about it here:
http://www.prostructure.com/papers/ptp_ewrt/PTP-Ewrt.pdf
It's based on the Sveasoft firmware but claims to fix the bugs.  It also
features NoCatSplah.  Could be interesting...

Anyway, those interested in purchasing WRT54G's or WRT54GS's in this
bulk buy are asked to contact me at dflett_at_bigpond_dot_net_dot_au.
Those who  contacted me when I first announced the offer are asked to
confirm their order with me.  Payment details will then be sent to you.

This offer will close on Thursday 24th June.

Dan