[MLB-WIRELESS] WinXP sharing over WLAN using bridging?

Joe Hovel joe.hovel at med.monash.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 23:12:06 EST 2004

A relatively ignorant question here after watching the discussion on routing
etc on Win XP (only understanding very little...).
Win XP (pro) has Bridging built in (it asks very nonchalantly if you want to
bridge interfaces when you have more than two...).
I have an Internet connection which arrives in my PC via USB on
144.135.xxx.xxx (satellite modems).
My home LAN uses the same machine as it's ICS gateway (192.168.0.1).
I want to put another ethernet card in which connects via cross-over cable
to my AP on a tower (with POE), using - say - 192.168.1.1 as it's subnet
interface.
This connection is meant to share my internet connection with my friend and
next door neighbour about 1km away. The connection was tested with a couple
of laptops and WLAN PCMCIA card and it works fine.
My friend also has a LAN on the 192.168.0.xxx range so that his (modem
connection) ICS on WinXP works, with his gateway machine of course also
192.168.0.1
He will put another ethernet card in his PC (say 192.168.1.2).
Can I bridge my WLAN ethernet card to my Internet connection to share it?
Can he bridge his WLAN ethernet card to his LAN (192.168.0.xxx). What
settings would he have to change/make to swap between WLAN internet access
and modem access? Would his WLAN internet access be "shareable" with ICS on
his LAN? Could we give each other access to specific directories on each
other's LANs?
Could we do VoIP or video conf. between our LANs?
If his and my LAN can't be the same 192.168.0.xxx range, how else could he
continue to have reliable ICS in WinXP on his modem when the WLAN or the
satellite connection fails (during every storm!)

I guess this is clear enough not to have to do a diagram. If not, I'll make
one and upload it.

Cheers,
Joe in Bendigo