[MLB-WIRELESS] Linksys WRT54G

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 16:11:38 EST 2004

Hi y'all,

Has anyone here played with the WRT54G?  Seems you can run Linux on it
and do all sorts of stuff - OSPF, QoS routing, SSH, some people have
even compiled and run Kismet on it.  I've heard that it has some issues,
such as the radio perhaps not being so good, and it can be unstable.  A
Swedish company called Sveasoft has written some custom firmware that
gives it all sorts of cool features such as Frottle.  Stephen Tossel
sent me the I, Cringely link today so I went and did a bit of Googling.
I, Cringely seems a little over-enthusiastic about what's possible with
modified WRT54Gs - grassroots metropolitan VoIP networks and the like -
but they seem an interesting enough box to tinker with.  The eBay link
below has them, in Melbourne, for $145.

eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11185&item=570
2135888&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW