[MLB-WIRELESS] wireless drops out in XP every 5 minutes

Michael Tomlinson tomlinso at netspace.net.au
Sun Jul 25 18:14:39 EST 2004

Hey all ; at my wits end with this.

I have a Netgear WGT624 access point / router (802.11g, set to 'b
only'), and an HP Compaq laptop with an Intel 802.11b card built in.

I'm using 128-bit WEP and have MAC address filtering enabled.

All of the drivers and firmware are up to date, and I've tried both the
Intel utilities and the built-in XP utilities for managing the wireless
card, but no luck.

Basically it connects fine, but then I lose the connection after 5 minutes.

I've tried changing channels, but I don't think this is an RF issue ; it
happens even if the laptop is on top of the base station, and I'm
getting good signal strength.

I've read about several things in XP which can cause this to happen, but
I've tried most of them.

I've disabled the 'wireless zero configuration' service ; I've checked
for some of the recent hotfixes that people have had trouble with ; I've
disabled 802.1x authentication ; nothing seems to help.

There's nothing in the router than looks like it could cause the type of
problem ; it's not the dhcp lease expiring.

Any other ideas???

thanks,
Michael