[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Providing free *real* internet access to the community...

Tom Fifield [gummAY] gummay at gummAY.net
Wed Jul 21 19:00:40 EST 2004

Just thought I'd throw this into the current discussion to perhaps clear
a few point up.

Last August I sent an email query to the ACA with regards to sharing
internet over a wireless connection, they took about a month to respond
but the information is useful.

The most important thing I think I got out of this was you are not
allowed to receive any form of tangible reward for sharing a internet
over a wireless connection.

If you were in my area looking for an Internet connection, come on in
and have some coffee and use it inside -- beats the car-on-verge anyday :)

Tom Fifield

---

Tom,

I understand from your email that you propose to use a network unit to
supply Internet access via wireless to other users. The network is
therefore being used to supply carriage services (data is a carriage
service) to the public. The concept of supplying to the public is
discussed in section 44 of the Telecommunications Act 1997 (the Act),
and in that regard you are supplying ouside your"immediate circle".
Section 41 states that the owner of a network unit that is used to
supply carriage services to the public must hold a carrier licence.

However as long as you are not receiving any monetary payment or other
form of tangible reward from the supply of carriage services over the
network unit you can claim exemption on the grounds of 'non-commercial'
use in regard to section 34 of the Act , being the use of a base station
which is part of a terrestrial radiocommunications customer access network .

Note that the exemption on the grounds of 'non-commercial' use is only
available in regard to the use of a designated radiocommunication
facility which is a base station that is part of a terrestrial
radiocommunications customer access network. This means that an
exemption on the grounds of 'non-commercial' use cannot be claimed for
single line links or multiple line links.

Thowever(sic), the splitting of the bill with your neighbour would not
qualify as 'non-commercial' as you are gaining an advantage by providing
the service to your neighbour. He will be paying for half the cost of
supply which is an advantage to you. You would need to supply your
neighbour for free to be classified as non-commercial.

Statutory distances are not applicable in regard to designated
radiocommunications. The signal only needs to be between two points.
However line links, such as cable, are restricted by statutory distances
between distinct places.

I would also caution you that the ISP or the provider of the ADSL line
may have some concern regarding what you propose. I am certainly not
qualified to comment, however you may want to look at the service
agreements with these entities.

Regards
Gary Fraser

Licensing and National Interests Team