[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Providing free *real* internet access to the community...

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Wed Jul 21 15:05:29 EST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:

> I have to disagree with you Brian, this is not similar to using a linux
> distribution.  You are subject to several government telecommunications
> regulations in this case which you certainly aren't in the case of a linux
> distrobution.
>
> Legally in exchange for internet access he may not accept payment in the
> form of donations, services, equipment, pizzas, etc.  He may be able to

See my previous post for another suggestion on cost recovery. The
distinction in that case between the paid and free services is more
clear-cut: only non tech users pay a small fee for me to install their
wireless networking equipment. That's what they are paying for, the
installation of a wireless card. If necessary, I can even have the
internet setup done completely hands off: I install the equipment and
drivers, then hand them a sheet of paper which details how to configure
them for my AP. That way there is absolutely no way that anyone can claim
that I am being paid for providing wireless internet access.

My ISP has confirmed that their current T&C allow me to share my account.
The final stumbling block is the location - we're still waiting for our
house to be built! I could set up something temporary for our immediate
neighbours, but it's not really worth it since we'll be moving in 2-3
months.

Cheers.