[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Providing free *real* internet access to the community...

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Wed Jul 21 02:30:08 EST 2004

Whoah there Rick!!

A donation is just that - an optional handing over of an unspecified
amount of cash, or something else of value. Since when did you see a
business (ie: a commercial operation) that was funded solely by donations?

I'll repeat it again: the majority of people connecting to my AP are
likely to be people interested in getting free net access; not people
interested in wireless networking. There's no direct benefit back to
myself apart from the satisfaction of providing that service for people.
If everyone was connecting in order to *network* - as MW nodes do - then
we would all benefit. That's the main reason I was *considering* asking
for donations when people connect.

As far as net access? I pay for it all, of course. They are only helping
to fund the purchase of wireless equipment.

One other cost recovery option I came up with: anyone who has the
technical know-how and equipment to connect to my AP can do so for free.
Not even a hint of a donation. However, if Joe Consumer wants his Windows
box set up with a card then I charge a small fee for my time. How does
that one grab you?

Although this is a noncommercial project it's certainly not cost free.
Being a hobbyist doesn't mean that I am obligated to, or can pay for
everything; I don't have limitless amounts of my own funds at my disposal.

One more thing, I never suggested that MW would be associated with this
project. I'm simply discussing it on this list. I'm sorry if you
misundersood my intentions there.