[MLB-WIRELESS] redline wireless: 80km range, 48Mbps

Tim Hogard thogard at knotty.abnormal.com
Thu Jul 15 09:39:31 EST 2004

> Thought some of you may be interested in this, even though it's unusable
> in AU (5.8GHz is indoor only here, right?)
5.2 Ghz is indoors only.
5.8 Ghz is 4 W EIRP max.
You can't get more than about 10km out of 5.8 with 4 W.

> http://www.redlinecommunications.com/index.html?products/an50/an-50_ptp.html
>
> Just out of interest are there any units available in AU that do a similar
> job, perhaps using a proprietary protocol that is designed specifically
> for robust long haul links?
At the last meeting I had a 5.8 Ghz radio made by Motorola providing
a  bradband link via the CBD but depending on what you mean by long
haul, you may find that all the gear is designed for the US market
with its rule of 63 W Eirp.

Keep in mind that most of the 5.8 gear is much more robust than
wifi.  5.8 gear in general was designed as the 2.4 noise floor was
rising and getting unusable.  The result is most of it doesn't play
well with others but can take massive amounts abuse from nearby
links without showing any problems.

Most of the 5.8 gear can now be obtained in 2.4 versions and you don't
want to operate a wifi link anywhere near them because they will wipe you
out.

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com