[MLB-WIRELESS] Network bridging with Linksys

Brian Jinks bjinks at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 14 14:30:05 EST 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:48 pm, you wrote:
> Brian Jinks wrote:
> > I'm trying to help a local community organisation with some advice as to
> > bridging two wired networks across a distance of approximately 100 metres
> > with reasonably clear line of site.
Snip

> Hi Brian,
>
> I am currently trying to do exactly this with 2 x WRT54G's, although not
> sucessfully yet as I havnt put in much time looking at it.  If you can
> point me to some of the info you have found I am more than willing to
> give it a go and give you a defintive answer.
>
> Matt.

G'day, Matt,
I took a look at that bridge.tgz file I mentioned in my earlier message and
the readme does mention bridging,

Advantages of the new code are:
- Support for multiple bridge port groups (i.e. multiple independent
  bridges in one machine).
- Each bridge is seen as a logical device, which allows you to do
  firewalling between port groups for example.
- Everything is dynamic; bridges are created dynamically using the
  userspace configuration tool, ports are 'enslaved' dynamically, etc.
- It is being actively maintained.
- It uses a hash table for MAC addresses, not an AVL tree.
- It's small (currently 4 pages of i386 code) and modular.
- The source isn't a mess.
- It works as a module.

Note that the files dates in the actual files are 16/7/2001 although the .tgz
file date is 27/6/2003.

Which leads me to another problem. Although all my computers run Gnu/Linux,
the Mandrake distribution, my cli skills and knowledge of installing still
leave a lot to be desired and I'm unsure as to how succesful I would be in
upgrading the wrt54g to bridging.
Please let me know how you go with all of this.

Regards, Brian