[MLB-WIRELESS] Wifi on a remote control car

Laughlin, Dane dlaughlin at students.latrobe.edu.au
Thu Jan 8 16:03:42 EST 2004

Just as a theoretical project at the moment, I am wondering how well wifi would work on a remote control car.

I was thinking of bastardising a fairly large 4x4 remote control car, and using the chassis to mount either a embedded system or Via Mini ITX mobo on. From this the wifi antenna, camera's etc would be attached. I am looking at controlled both the vehicle and the computer via a PDA or Laptop.

If I had LOS but the vehicle was travelling over some rough terrain, would this possibly cause a loss in connection?

Is it possible to mount a directional antenna beside an omni-directional one, and using some sort of servo system, have the directional antenna "lock onto" a certain signal (I fair bit of servo manipulation and programming would be involved, but I want to ignore that for the moment.)

Just thought that this would be an interesting use of wifi technology, and something fun to do with that crappy old remote control car I got as a kid that's never used.

Regards

Dane Laughlin