[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless connection -1200m apart

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Wed Feb 18 16:57:30 EST 2004

> Ok. Thanks for that. Is there anyone who has tried using 802.11g in
> similar circumstances that have had a sucesfull fast link?

I've only set up a G connection for testing to send to a client accross an
office (~ 10m).
Did constantly ping at 3ms tho!

> I had seent he Vagi directional antennas by Hills. But it only has a
> 15.6dBi rating. As I said before, I am new to wireless, but I gather
> that a 25dBi rating is better, and the parabolic grid antenna is only
> another $10. Or would the Vagi antenna be better because it is more
> directional therefore a higher signal strength?

Over that distance I believe the 25 is a bit of overkill. And when you see
the size of those things you may want to drop it down. The difference over
that  distance with clear loss between the Vagi's and Parabolics will be
quite minimal. The parabolic will actually have less signal spread (think of
it like a torch. Without the little reflector, light goes everywhere, but
not very far. With the reflector, the light goes only in one direction, but
a lot further. This in essence is what an antenna does, so the higher the
gain, the further the distance, but by virtue, the smaller the 'beam').

> It is just a small home project. Probably looking at about $250 per end
> (so $500 all up). The Minitar AP's look like a good option. I asume they
> have detachable antennas so an external antenna can be connected? And
> would either the Vagi or the Parabolic antennas work on that?

RP-SMA plugs with removable 2dB Omni's. You will need to get RP-SMA -> N
Type pigtails to be able to plug either of the antennas in, but yes, they
will work.

> Ok. Thats what I though. I am currently using a freeBSD server as my
> router/firewall.

Easy done then!