[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless connection -1200m apart

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Wed Feb 18 16:35:56 EST 2004

> Hi,
>
> I am looking currently at connection a friends and my houses up via a
> wireless link. We can both clearly see eachother's houses and are only
> about 1200m apart.
>
> I am new to wireless, so I do not know much about it. I would like to
> have a 802.11g (54mbs) connection across. I heard that it can have more
> problems than 802.11b over longer distances. We are fairly close
> together, both have direct line of site, should there be much problem?

.11g does need higher signal strength and reports from most people using
11g in outside links have been basically that they have defaulted down to
11b speeds anyway.

> I am looking at getting a hills antenna (Hills 25dBi directional
> parabolic grid antenna
> <http://www.techtopia.com.au/product_info.php/cPath/1_19/products_id/682>
> ) for both ends - would that be a good move?

Bit of overkill in my opinion. Have you considered a Vagi?
Cheaper.
Smaller.
Less visually impacting.
Over that distance, more than enough signal too.

> What hardware should I use each end? I was told that an Access Point my
> end and just a PCI card his end. I have servers at my end (9 computers
> plugged in all up atm) and he only has 2 (which are networked). Can any
> one sugest what would be the best to get? Brand & Model?

Depends on your budget.

If your just going to bridge the 2 networks and don't want to allow P2MP
(allow multiple connections to one of the nodes if others want to join) then
maybe something like the WAP54G which can be thrown in bridge mode I
believe, or WAP11 which you can do the same thing. ($197 for WAP11, $187 for
WAP54G....prices on this site seem a bit old, but that'd be max).

Other option is a pair of Minitar AP's (from www.pcrange.biz ) for $90 each,
60mW output and can do AP, client, bridge mode, you can't really go wrong.
Grab a pair of these, bridge them, point and go.

> Also, I am looking at implementing a wireless network in my house for
> the two laptops. Would that need a seperate AP for that or can it all
> work off one? I would be thinking two, because of security. I am wanting
> the link between my friends and my house to be infront of my firewall
> (to make it more secure) and my wireless network inside my house would
> be behind the firewall.

For security, I would reccomend the 2 AP's. Also reccomend a firewall which
had

eth0 - home lan
eth1 - to home AP
eth2 - to second AP
ppp0/eth3/etc - to internet connection

Reduces routing complications and your firewalls all in one spot.

> So yeah, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Phil Mawson
> BlendTek [creative]

Best of luck!
Let us know how you go if you decide to use G.