[MLB-WIRELESS] Line of Sight

najmead at swiftdsl.com.au najmead at swiftdsl.com.au
Tue Feb 10 14:43:49 EST 2004

> The concept is pretty much as the term suggests. Point A must be able to
> "see" Point B, however this is not a rule, more of a guideline.
>
> The further you go away from the base station, the more important LOS
> becomes, as the obstacles in the way will reduce the signal strength. The
> material the obstacles are composed of also will effect how far you can go
> without LOS.
>
> LOS is MUCH more important in CWN's (community wireless networks) as over
> much larger distances LOS all but becomes a necessity.
>
> Yet again, guideline, not rule.
>
> I have links and have tested links running ~ 600m thru nothing but trees
> and
> houses, 4.5km's and not even knowing where the other node is etc etc and
> they are useable, maybe not the strongest possible, but they work.

This is as I thought... but I had been incorrectly told that LOS was
absolutely critical in establishing *any* link.  From what I can gather,
if the distance is relatively short, LOS becomes less and less important.

I'd like to set up my AP so I can get a signal in the park across the
street, but there are a few trees in the way.  The distance is fairly
short, though, so I imagine it is still achievable.