[MLB-WIRELESS] GHO on Locfinder

vk3jma at net2000.com.au vk3jma at net2000.com.au
Tue Feb 10 13:35:23 EST 2004

Quoting Tim Hogard <thogard at knotty.abnormal.com>:

> I thought the idea was to use it as a routing node and as link for
> people who were in the nearby hole.  I don't think it was there for
> everyone to connect to.

That was another thing that packet radio has shown me,  if it is there for use,
people will use it,  even if there was a closer one to them.  Using the central
system had some "in the club" feel about it, but all it did was cause the
problems outlined in my previous post.

High site nodes "should" only ever be used for inter linking between high
profile sites.

GHO should still be considered a extremely important part of the melbourne
wireless network even if just used to link 2 or 3 other systems that people in
turn link into.  There should be no problem with heaps and heaps of data
flowing through a site so long as it is all coming from only 2 or 3 individual
other sites.  In fact GHO would be in a perfect position to act as a bridge
between metro melb and places like geelong, ballarat etc,  long haul high gain
point2point linking opening up different networks to each other.

Again 2c worth.

Mark