[MLB-WIRELESS] GPS board special $60.50

Cameron McCormack cam-melbwireless at aka.mcc.id.au
Fri Feb 6 22:53:29 EST 2004

Rowan Crowe:
> Not sure if this is of any use to anyone, but it's a significant reduction
> in price so I thought it was worth a mention:
>
> "TU70-D200-031  	 GPS Board W/Antenna No Case 3.3V"
>
> http://www.rockby.com.au/catresults.cfm?select=91&offset=71&stock_no=29994
>
> The special price is $60.50, the normal price is $203.50.
>
> Does anyone have any data on these modules? A google search only shows a
> few results which are just price listings...
>
> (thinks) A GPS attached to a digital camera would be way cool. Imagine if
> you could record the exact location the photo was taken as part of the
> EXIF image data! (just make sure your g/f doesn't send raunchy snaps with
> the EXIF data preserved to her net cyberbuddy)

Exactly what I've been planning to do!  I've just managed to procure a
Navman Jupiter 10 OEM GPS module and a stealth antenna.  When I get some
time, I'm gonna hook it up to my iPAQ so it can keep a track of my route
as I've been out during the day.  (I'm gonna have to fashion something
to get the antenna on my shoulder so it can see the satellites.)  I can
take photos on my camera then at the end of the day, stick the CF card
in the iPAQ and it can add the relevant EXIF fields to the JPEGs.

I think eventually I'll want to get a microcontroller or something to
control the GPS module so I don't have to keep it hooked up to the iPAQ.

Of course, I have little electronics experience, just a year's worth of
digital logic subjects from first first year uni.  But I'll blunder my
way through the hardware bit. :-)

But yes, $60 seems quite cheap.  I got my GPS module for about US$60.

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack