[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: RF emissions of Grandstream Budgetone 102 VoIP phones.

vak vak at alphalink.com.au
Tue Dec 21 22:42:20 EST 2004

I agree that the ideal solution to this problem would be to separate
power and coax by at least 600mm (if you have the luxury of performing a
renovation).

If you rerun it, I suggest you use quad-shield RG6. This will help keep
unwanted interference out.

Also, you might want to check if you've got stray currents on your roof
(injecting into the mast -> antenna). I *HAVE* measured potentials of
over 60V on some tin roofs (after feeling a buzzing feeling through my
hands).

The other possibility is using a bandpass filter on the input to the TV,
this won't keep out interference *IN* the VHF bands, but it will reduce
outlying harmonics which can disturb TV images - The ACA actually put me
onto a company who designed and manufacture these devices locally. From
memory their solutions were between $50 and $100 (or there abouts). Give
the ACA a call, they had some very competent techs who assisted me when
I first put up my mast (my neighbour claimed I was causing her TV image
to snow).

It is also worth determining which circuit your TV is on, turning all
devices on that circuit off and then switching them on one by one. If a
particular device (or combination of devices) is causing the problem,
fit ferrites to its power lead.

It is also worth checking that the TV/Aerial socket is not damaged or
improperly terminated - There's a chance that if it is not grounded
properly (or oxidisation of the pins/shield/termination has occured)
then that can also cause noise.

Also in a perfect world, you'd have the option to mount your AP away
from the TV antenna.