[MLB-WIRELESS] Revisiting OSPF

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:56:09 EST 2004

Hi Mark.

If you’re running this little network yourself, then you may get away
with not using a routing protocol at all.  It depends on how you have
your network set up.  Are all the APs in the same (presumably large)
subnet?  If so, no routing is needed at all, but you will find the
performance of your network performance degraded by a lot of broadcast
traffic.  If you connect your subnet or subnets to another network, such
as the Melbourne Wireless network, you’ll probably want to install a
router in the subnet that connects to the “other” outside network.  By
running an OSPF service (or daemon) on your router you will be able to
advertise to the rest of the network that you exist and (presumably)
everyone on the rest of the network will be able to find your node(s).
Likewise, the OSPF service on your router will receive advertisements
from other OSPF routers so your router will know the direction (route)
to traverse to find other nodes and subnets.

If you do not have a router (or PC running a routing protocol), then you
will have to enter the routes manually (statically) so that your PC
(router) knows how to find the various parts of the rest of the network.
Routing tables can get quite large - you could end up with a table that
has directions to get to fifty or more subnets.  It would not be much
fun to keep that up to date.

If you do not have a PC or router at all then you are pretty much stuck
with running all your own APs (or AP clients) and your AP peers in the
same subnet.  You'll have to hope that your AP peers are doing the
routing for you.  If there are lots of nodes involved this can get quite
ugly - bandwidth will be used inefficiently - which is why the Melbourne
Wireless network favours routing between lots of small Ethernet subnets.

We are hoping that small, cheap wireless routers such as the Linksys
WRT54G are the answer to the problem of needing a chunky PC at each node
location.

Cheers,

Dan